Last updated: May 22, 2018
Cyclops cares about your privacy and only collects information that is needed to deliver our complete Service. The personal information that we may collect and store includes information such as:
- (a) Email
- (b) First name
- (c) Last name
- (d) Avatar URL
- (e) Password
Also, if you connect to our Service using another 3rd Party authentication services such as Slack, Linkedin, or Google they may provide us with additional personal information, that will be stored. This additional personal information includes the name of your 3rd party provider, your unique user id for that provider, and a "token" that permits us to communicate with your provider and act on your behalf to complete your login to the Service. If you do not want to provide us with personal information from 3rd party authentication services, please only login through Cyclops' native login feature.
We do not require users to give us any personal information to use most of our Service. You have the option of entering certain personal information such as name and email address in order to enable certain features work smoother, but that is entirely up to the user. In the cases where the user has given us personal information, we store it via a cookie so that when the user returns to our Service, it will remember them. We also allow users to connect the Cyclops Service with 3rd-party authentication services such as Slack, LinkedIn, and Google. In those cases, we also store the respective information we receive from those services, including but not limited to name, email address, and other metadata like associated Slack group and the link. This personal information is used when a user posts a screenshot to Slack, Linkedin, Google or emails it to other participants. In those cases, we do not store the screenshots other than facilitating the post or email to the right destination. As such, we may collect certain information you provide to us when using Cyclops, such as when you create an account, send us an email or post information, data, or other content to Cyclops. We do not store the video and audio content streamed from or to you. When you register any information with us you expressly consent to the use of your personal data for these aforementioned uses and other future use cases that do not exist today. Please note you cannot register us without giving us this consent. Also, when you register, you consent to the possibility of being contacted directly by Cyclops.
In general, we may collect personal information that can identify you such as your name and email address. We also collect other information that does not directly identify you, such as cameras and microphones you have set up, accessed, or been invited to, as well as information related to your computer and the browser used to access our service. When you provide personal information, the information may be sent to servers located in the US and other countries around the world. If you create your account via a third-party social networking site ("SNS") such as LinkedIn, Slack, or Google, Cyclops uses the personal information you have already provided to the SNS.
We may also automatically collect certain information via our website or application, such as your location/GPS coordinates, a device identifier, MAC address, Internet Protocol (IP) address, operating system, the browser type, information regarding your camera and microphone to be used with the Service and your activity. We may also monitor information related to your connectivity in the Service such as but not limited to upstream or downstream bandwidth usage, errors during Service and quality of the Service. This information is not treated as personal information unless we combine it with or link it to any of the personally identifiable information mentioned above.
We may also automatically collect certain information through the use of "cookies". These are small files that your browser places on your computer. We may use both session cookies and persistent cookies to better understand how you interact with our services, to monitor aggregate usage by our users and web traffic routing on our services, and to improve our services. Most Internet browsers automatically accept cookies. You can instruct your browser, by editing its options, to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit.
We use the information collected through Cyclops to provide and promote Cyclops' services, including, without limitation, for the purposes described below:
- to invite other users to join and use our platform;
- to personalize your Cyclops experience (your information helps us to better serve individual needs);
- to become training data for any application we build;
- to provide our Services or information you request, and to process and complete any transactions;
- to respond to your emails, submissions, questions, comments, requests, and complaints and provide customer service;
- to monitor and analyze usage and trends, and to personalize and improve Cyclops and your experiences when Cyclops is used, such as providing content or features that match your users' profile or interests, and to increase the functionality and user friendliness of our services;
- to send you confirmations, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages and otherwise facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of, our services;
- to perform research and analysis about your use of, or interest in, our products, services, or content, or products, services or content offered by others in order to better serve your needs. We may share non-personal and non-identifying information about you with other third parties for industry analysis or other purposes;
- to develop and display content and advertising tailored to your interests;
- to enforce or exercise any rights in our terms and conditions and enforce compliance with laws and law enforcement;
- to deliver the products and services that you have requested;
- to process transactions;
- to manage our business;
- to perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection;
- or any other purpose for which the information was collected;
We will not share the personal information we have collected from you, except as described below:
We are not responsible for the actions of service providers or other third parties, nor are we responsible for any additional information you provide directly to any third parties.
- with third-party service providers who are working with us in connection with the operation of our site or our services (these service providers have access to your personal information only to perform services on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose it or use it for any other purposes);
- when you give us your consent to do so, including if we notify you that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information;
- when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants or court orders;
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition, or in any other situation where personal information may be disclosed or transferred as one of our business assets.
We take reasonable measures to protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse. Although we have implemented these precautions, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of your personal information. As data transmission is not fully secure over the Internet, we cannot guarantee that your personal data will be accessed, altered, or destroyed by unauthorized persons.
If you have an account, you can access and modify the personal information you provided us that is associated with your account. You may "opt out" of receiving marketing or promotional emails from us by following the instructions in those emails. If you opt out of these messages, you will still receive emails from us, about your account, our services and other pertinent information related to our services. These communications are considered part of the service and your account, which you cannot opt-out from receiving.
If you want to delete your personally identifiable information and your account, please contact us at contact at cyclops dot io with a request that we delete your account and information. We will take steps to delete your personally identifiable information as soon as reasonably possible, but some information may remain in archived/backup copies for our records and as otherwise required by law.
Data protection law in Europe requires a "lawful basis" for collecting and retaining personal information from citizens or residents of the European Economic Area. Our lawful bases include:
- Performing the contract we have with you: In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligation to deliver the Services, enable creators to establish and display their projects, and enable backers to find and make pledges to them.
- Legal compliance: Sometimes the law says we need to collect and use your data. For example, tax laws require us to retain records of pledges and payments made through our Services.
- Legitimate interests: This is a technical term in data protection law which essentially means we have a good and fair reason to use your data and we do so in ways which do not hurt your interests and rights. We sometimes require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way that might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and that does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
For example, we use identity, device, and location information to prevent fraud and abuse and to keep the Services secure. We may also send you promotional communications about our Services, subject to your right to control whether we do so.
We analyze how users interact with our Site so we can understand better what elements of the design are working well and which are not working so well. This allows us to improve and develop the quality of the online experience we offer all our users.
Information that's shared publicly
We do not share your personal information in any public manner. If you choose to participate in a video conference with others that video conference is private and the only personal information that is available to the participants is your username.
Information that is not shared publicly
- Any payment information you provide;
- Your password details;
- Your IP address;
- Your phone number;
- Your date of birth and other identity verification documentation (for creators);
- Private profile information, in accordance with your preferences; and
- Communications you send to us (for example, when you ask for support, send us questions or comments, or report a problem).
Information that's shared with trusted third-party services
We may share your information with certain trusted third-party services to help us provide, improve, promote, or Cyclops and its Services. When we share data with third-party services that support our delivery of our Services, we require that they use your information only for the purposes we've authorized, and that they protect your personal information at least to the same standards we do. We may also share information that's aggregated and anonymized in a way that it does not directly identify you.
Information that's shared with other participants
If you use the Services to participate in a video conference chat some of your personal information such as your name will be available to the other participants in the video conference.
Information that's shared to protect Cyclops and comply with the law
We do reserve the right to disclose personal information when we believe that doing so is reasonably necessary to comply with the law or law enforcement, to prevent fraud or abuse, or to protect Cyclops' legal rights, property, or the safety of Cyclops, its employees, users, or others.
Links to other websites and services
We will retain your personal information as long as your account is active, as necessary to provide you with the Services or as otherwise set forth in this Policy. We will also retain and use this information as necessary for the purposes set out in this Policy and to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements and protect Cyclops' legal rights.
We also collect and maintain aggregated, anonymized or pseudonymized information which we may retain indefinitely to protect the safety and security of our Site, improve our Services or comply with legal obligations.
Because Cyclops is a US-based company, your information will be collected and processed in the United States. The United States has its own laws governing data protection and government access to information. The rules that protect your personal information under United States law may be different than in your home country. If you choose to use the Services, you need to agree to our Terms of Service, which set out the contract between Cyclops and its users.
Users residing in certain countries, including the EU, are afforded certain rights regarding their personal information. Except where an exception or exemption applies, these rights include the ability to access, correct, and request deletion of your personal information.
You can request a downloadable copy of your personal data from Cyclops from by contacting Cyclops at firstname.lastname@example.org. To modify or delete the personal information you've provided to us, please log in and update your profile. You may also delete your account from your account settings page. We may retain certain information as required by law or as necessary for our legitimate business purposes.
We want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us. We try to keep emails to a minimum and give you the ability to opt in to any marketing communications we send.
We'll also send you service-related announcements when it's necessary to do so.
We take security seriously, and the security of your personal data is important to us. We follow industry-standard practices to protect the data we collect and maintain, including using Transport Layer Security (TLS) to encrypt information as it travels over the internet. No method of transmission over the internet or electronic storage is completely secure, so Cyclops cannot guarantee its absolute security. Your account information is protected by a password, which you should choose carefully and keep secure.
In the event of a data breach, we have a response team and internal protocols set up to respond to the breach and notify you within the deadlines prescribed by the GPDR. We encourage the responsible disclosure of vulnerabilities of our Services by emailing us at email@example.com.
To contact our Data Protection Officer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can contact us in writing at:
39 Arlington Road
Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts 02476
Subject to applicable law, if you are a citizen or resident of the European Economic Area, you also have the right to (i) object to Cyclops' use of your personal information and (ii) lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority or the United Kingdom Information Commissioner's Office.
United Kingdom Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire
SK9 5AF, United Kingdom
Telephone: +0303 123 1113
Fax: 01625 524510
Children 16 or under who reside in the European Union are prohibited from registering for a Cyclops account or use its Services unless they have their parents have consented to their child providing us with their personal information. Children under 16 are not permitted to use Cyclops on their own. Cyclops does not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 and children under 13 are not permitted to register for an account or use our Services.
If you believe that a child has provided us with personal information, please contact us at email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org If we become aware that a child under age 13 has provided us with personally identifiable information, we will delete it.
Our service is not directed to children under 13 and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we learn that we have collected personal information of a child under 13, we will take steps to delete such information from our files as soon as possible.